The Pet Story. How Old to Care for a Cat.

One time, a while ago, I wanted a pet. Everyone else I knew had one. Whether it was a dog or cat, or even a lizard, they had one. I thought it would be nice to have the extra company when I was alone or couldn't leave the house. My brother also wanted one, but he wanted a dog. I, on the other hand, wanted a cat. I knew that my parents didn't like dogs, so I knew, if I had even the slightest chance of getting a pet, it would be a cat. I always asked my parents before, but they never really answered the question. They thought I would forget that I even asked the question ten minutes later. One day, though, I asked my mom again. She said I was too young to have one. She thought that I was too irresponsible. She knew that I wouldn't be able to handle one. She also didn't want to take care of one. I started crying, I wanted a pet so bad, I would do anything to get one. Later, when my dad came home from work, I asked him, too. He pretty much said the exact same words that my mom had said. That night, I went to bed dreaming about how it would be to get a cat. I would play with it all the time, I would take care of it, I would feed it, and I would also clean out it's litter box. I didn't care how hard it would be, or how tiring it would be, I just needed a cat. The next day, I didn't ask again, I wanted to wait it out, and see if they would think about it. It bothered me all day, though. I kept wanting to ask, but I knew what the answer would be. It became closer to the end of the day, and I was getting tired of waiting. When it became dinner time, i decided to ask my parents again. I did not think that the answer would change, and of course, i was right. The answer was no, once again. I could not believe this. How could I want something so bad, and my parents just say no? I did not understand. I knew that my parents both had pets when they were children, so why couldn't they let me have one? It just bothered me. I wanted to know the real reason why they wouldn't let me have one. I decided to wait a week to ask again. It was hard, but I did it. I was hoping a week would do the job. A week to let them think about it. A week to figure out that I really want a cat and would be so happy if they let me get one. It was finally Friday, and it had been a week. It would be the day that I asked my parents again. I waited until dinner again. I prayed that they would say yes, or even at least think about it. I was nervous. I did not think I had another chance if they said no. As the time past, talking about how school was, and what the plans were for the weekend, I finally decided to ask. "Can we please get a cat." I asked, very nervous. "Honny, I thought we already talked about this." My mom said. "Please Mom, I really want one. I'll do everything. I promise." I said, begging. "I do not know about this, you and your brother seem too young." My dad said. "You had pets when you were both kids!" I said. Both of my parents did not respond. "Please, I promise that I will do everything! I swear!" I said, trying to make them give in. "How about this, your father and I will think about it tonight. That doesn't mean it is a yes, we are just going to think about it together." My mom said. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I yelled. "That is all I ever wanted!" I added. "Just please do not get your hopes up." My dad reminded me. I went to bed that night very happy. I was so excited. I might actually get a cat, I thought. I tried not getting my hopes up, but I just could not help it. I was too happy. The next morning, I was awoken by my mom and dad. They looked happy, and I could only guess of one reason why. "Your mother and I have made a decision, we have decided that you are mature enough to have a-" My dad tried to say, but i cut him off mid-sentence. "Are you serious! I can really get a cat?" I asked, happily. "Yes." My mom said. "Thank you! I love you both!" I said, tears forming in my eyes. The next day, we went to an animal shelter. There was a kitten named Missy. She seemed like the perfect pet cat. She was cute, small, and soft. I knew she was the one, but there was a slight problem. She was too hyper. She also kept scratching my mom. My dad asked if we could see another one. The lady brought out a gray cat. Her name was Tori. She was cute, she was also soft, and also small. She was also sitting down, and was not being very playful. I did not like that. I though that cats were supposed to be fun. I heard that she had just gotten surgery, and that was the reason she was like that. I felt bad for her. I could not choose which cat I wanted. Missy was playful, but maybe a little bit too much. Tori had just had surgery, so she wasn't very playful. She would be when she was fully recovered, and that's why I picked her. The lady said she is fun and likes when people are around her. She said that she is not as playful as Missy, but still a great cat. When we brought Tori home for the first time, she was running around, trying to get used to the new environment. After a week, she was almost as playful as Missy, and I was happy I chose her. Getting a cat was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. The resolution of this all, was I told my parents that I could handle a pet, and they believed me. I am so glad that they did.